As transitional bathroom products continue to soar in popularity, Angelica Hedges looks at 10 beautiful freestanding baths that feature traditional and modern elements to complement all schemes.
1. The Coln Bathtub designed by Marc Newson for Drummonds combines retro styling with modern design with the intention of creating a timeless look. The Coln comes with changeable metal feet, and a rounded form for a contemporary touch. Measuring at 1690 x 689 x 602mm, it is pictured in a scheme with traditional-style fittings, but could be equally at home in an updated setting.
2. The Washington Bath by RAK Ceramics re-imagines a classic shape to fit a contemporary environment, combining a modern sculptural look with a bold timeless silhouette for a transitional effect. Featuring an external matt lacquer in a choice of White, Grey, Black, Greige or Cappuccino and a Matt White RakSolid interior, it measures in at 1560 x 810mm, and comes with an integrated overflow.
3. The Buckingham Slipper Bath by Burlington is traditional in style, and for extra user customisability it comes with a choice of five different styles of feet in three different colour ways – Chrome, White and Black. Here, rather than featuring classic ‘claw’ feet, it is shown with steamlined, contemporary ones for a distinctive, transitional look. To change things up further, the exterior can be painted using acrylic-based primers and paints. Measurements are 1500 x 780 x 740mm.
4. From BC Designs, the Senator Bath is made from the brand's patented Cian solid surface material. It comes with the option of Bun Feet and is available in Polished White and ColourKast options of Gunmetal, Light Fawn, Mushroom, Satin Rose, Khaki Green, Industrial Grey, Powder Blue, and Power Grey. Its curvaceous shape replicates the form of traditional Fireclay baths, but with a clean, contemporary simplicity.
5. The Tallulah bath by Indigenous is made from composite stone resin, with a gel coat for an ultra-smooth form and finish. Said to be durable and resistant to bacteria build-up, it references the traditional slipper shape but with a contemporary edge to form a stylish silhouette. This bath measures 1650 x 780 x 900mm and features a sleek matt finish.
6. From Laufen, the New Classic collection by Marcel Wanders sets out to re-imagine neoclassical style. Inspired by the feminine curves of a flower and formed from the brand’s Saphirmermik material, this freestanding bath measures 1900 x 900 x 580mm, and is designed to allow long soaks with a back-friendly and ergonomic shape. This freestanding bath is perfect for adding a modern touch to a vintage setting.
7. The freestanding Bute Bath by Drummonds combines a traditional cast iron body with a contemporary hand-finished acrylic skirt wrap for a transitional feel. It features the contrasting elements of a curved roll-top and straight acrylic sides, accentuating a contemporary silhouette, and comes with an overflow, a fitted bath waste as standard, and measures 1710 x 730 x 585mm.
8. By Imperial Bathrooms, the freestanding Marlow Bath features a curved modern silhouette, which as been given a touch of the classic with a traditional-style plinth. Supplied with a built-in overflow and a chrome waste and trap, this product measures at 560mm in height, 1740mm in width and 760mm in depth. It comes with a waste available in Antique Gold and Polished Nickel and is made from Cian.
9. From Bathrooms to Love by PJH, the Belmont freestanding bath is not only spacious in design with a capacity of 245 litres, but can blend effortlessly into a current or retro scheme. Pictured here in a modern setting in the new Matt Blue finish, and also available in White or Grey, it measures 1700 x 780 x 670mm and can be paired with a floorstanding bath shower mixer, such as the artisanal Berio Brushed Brass BSM, shown.
10. The Lady Margaret double-ended freestanding bath by Imperial Bathrooms features a clean and smooth contemporary outline, which enables it to bring a modern edge to a vintage scheme. Made from Cian, a modern and innovative material, this bath measures 540mm in height, 1800mm in width and 820mm in depth, and is supplied with a built-in overflow, with a waste that is available in Antique Gold and Polished Nickel.