New research undertaken by plumbing and heating supplier PlumbNation has revealed the most popular bathroom trends of 2021. The research looked at a comprehensive list of bathroom trends, as well as lists of bathroom colours, bath types and shower types and recorded their search volumes for 2021 using Google Keyword Planner, as well as recording the number of posts that each trend has on Instagram. It then ranked them accordingly to reveal the top trends in each category.
Perhaps surprisingly, the most searched-for bathroom trend of 2021 was 'bidets'. Bidets are a common fixture in many countries, especially in mainland Europe, although have not historically enjoyed equal popularity in the UK.
'Bathroom wallpaper' was the second most searched-for bathroom trend of the year.
The third most searched trend was 'terrazzo tiles' – one of the most prolific design styles out there at the moment, being hugely popular in bathrooms all over the world.
Further findings from the research are:
* The most popular bathroom colour on Instagram was white, with 73,860 posts.
* Freestanding bathtubs were the most popular type of bath by search volume, with 1,249,333 searches. Also topping the chart for popularity on Instagram with 81,009 posts was the freestanding bathtub.
* Walk-in showers were the most popular shower type by search volume, with 1,420,000 searches.
* The most popular type of shower on Instagram was outdoor showers, which had 107,357 posts.
* Seeing by far the greatest year-on-year increase in interest was the Japandi-style bathroom, with searches jumping by 435.9% in the last year.