The latest on-trend countertop basins offer a blend of high design and contemporary good looks but their broadly rectangular shape is a stylish nod to more conventional basin designs. Angelica Hedges rounds up a selection of the latest launches.
1. The Miena steel enamel washbasin from Kaldewei comes in a variety of bold tones in a palette that ranges from black (pictured) and blue, through to purple and striking white, and features distinctive slim edges and curved corners. Exclusively designed for Kaldewei by Anke Salomon, it measures 400 x 580mm, and is not only durable but 100% recyclable too. As with all steel enamel products from Kaldewei, it comes with a 30-year guarantee.
2. The RAK-Feeling countertop rectangular basin from RAK ceramics, pictured here in White, is available in five colours – White, Greige, Cappuccino, Grey and Black – all made in ceramic with a smooth-matte finish. The basin measures 500 x 360mm, features no tap holes and overflow and is best paired with a tall basin mixer or wall-mounted tap. Matching sanitaryware is available in the same colours for a cohesive look across the scheme.
3. The Brushed Stainless Steel countertop basin from JTP is composed of 316 stainless steel, and shown with a sleek, hard-wearing PVD finish. The one-piece rectangular design measures 120mm in height, 470mm in width, and has a projection of 346mm. With slim edges and cool, contemporary styling, it's ideal for clients keen to inject an industrial edge into their design. It comes with a guarantee of 15 years.
4. The rectangular Layla washbowl from PJH is made from white Polymarble and measures 460mm in width, 152mm in height and 320mm in diameter. The basins feature fine edges, and are rounded for a flowing shape in a softening style. Here, the Layla basins are shown in a pair on a Matt Indigo Grey Manhattan floorstanding basin unit, with stainless steel Vema Tiber wall-mounted basin mixer taps.
5. The Edge 45 countertop basin from Victoria + Albert Baths has a distinctive cubic shape and a customisable exterior for clients after a personalised design, with options of bold colours from a selection of three varying colour palettes available. Made from the brand's Quarrycast material and pictured here with a gloss finish, it 111 x 325 x 450mm, and is designed to co-ordinate with the Edge bath from the same collection. Tap holes cannot be drilled for this product.
6. The Memoria Infinite rectangular countertop basin from VitrA features angular styling and a gloss finish to complement a sleek, contemporary bathroom aesthetic. Designed for the brand by Christophe Pillet, the basin is said to be warm to the touch, and easy to look after thanks to the non-porous surface of the infinite mineral cast material. It measures 800mm wide and 105mm high.
7. The On Top countertop basin, pictured here in grey and white, is made from Acquabella’s unique material, Akron. Available in the company's Base and Slate textures, this rectangular basin features soft curved edges, and the contrasting two-tone format on the exterior and interior add visual interest. This countertop basin measures 580 x 280 x 110mm – circular, square and oval shapes are also available.
8. The new Soleil range of washbasins designed for Duravit by Philippe Starck is a collection inspired by dunes shaped by the wind, and includes three sizes of washbasin, as well as built-in undercounter basins, and a matching semi-pedestal along with furniture basins. The washbasins are available in a range of sizes from 550 x 480mm through to 800 x 480mm, and as with all Duravit's ceramics, they come with a lifetime guarantee.
9. The Strada II rectangular ceramic vessel washbasin from Ideal Standard is available in White gloss, and comes in a range of sizes including 400mm, 500mm and 600mm countertop basins. The Strada collection is the result of a collaboration with Studio Levien and its signature aesthetic features soft geometric shapes, fine edges and contemporary curves. The bathroom range also includes undercounter, semi-countertop and handrinse basins.
10. Part of the countertop basin range from HIMACS, the rectangular CBR40R measures 580 x 370 x 130mm, and boasts the totally smooth surface of HIMACS, which is said to prevent the accumulation of dirt, mould and bacteria, making it ideally suited to bathroom environments. Two new 'squircle' top-mounted basins have recently been added to the existing range, which also consists of square and circular shapes.