While black bathroom brassware, fixtures and fittings have been increasing in popularity for some time, the latest products have taken a new sophisticated direction and are all distinctly 'matt'. Emma Hedges rounds up 10 stunning examples that will bring some understated glamour to your designs.
1. The latest launch from Aqualisa is the Downtown Matt Black range featuring large and small pillar taps, as well as a deck-mounted bath filler and bath shower mixer. Pictured is the small pillar version, which measures 130mm, and has a finish that is said to be easy to clean and scratch resistant. Suitable for both high- and low-pressure water systems, each model is machined from high-quality brass with a zinc handle.
2. The VOS collection from JTP comprises a variety of styles including wall-mounted and swan-neck options, and a tall and standard-height single-lever basin mixer, shown here. Measuring 159mm high, the single-lever basin mixer has either a smooth or knurled handle (pictured), and as well as Matt Black, it also comes in Brushed Black and Brushed Brass.
3. The RAK-Positano brassware range from RAK Ceramics has a sleek silhouette for a contemporary look, and offers both deck-mounted and wall-mounted options. The deck-mounted installation features a single handle and comes in three sizes – Standard (170mm), Medium (235mm), and Tall (321mm), pictured here. As well as Matt Black, it comes in Chrome, Brushed Nickel and Brushed Gold.
4. The MPRO Sensor basin deck-mounted spout from Crosswater is part of the MPRO Sensor range. It has a sleek curved shape and uses a sensor featuring infra-red technology for hands-free, hygienic operation, while the automatic shut-off offers water-saving benefits. It stands 281mm high, and comes in an ultra-smooth Matt Black finish, as well as Chrome, Brushed Brass and Brushed Stainless Steel.
5. VitrA's Origin collection features built-in and deckmounted mixers, as well as a compact basin mixer, a bidet mixer, a floor-mounted basin mixer, a full suite of shower mixers, and touch-free basin mixers. As well as Matt Black, Chrome, Copper and Brushed Nickel are available – pictured here are Origin tall basin mixers with co-ordinating bottle traps.
6. The Talis E single-lever basin mixer 110 from Hansgrohe features the brand's intelligent EcoSmart technology to help save water, so that a maximum 5 l/min at 3 bar flows through the basin tap. It has QuickClean technology for easy limescale removal, and as well as Matt Black it comes in five other finishes – Chrome, Brushed Bronze, Brushed Black Chrome, Matt White and Polished Gold-Optic.
7. The Paradox collection from Riobel – part of the House of Rohl umbrella brand – is a fusion of curved and linear shapes to create a striking contemporary look. The three-hole basin mixer comes in both Matt Black and Chrome finishes, and has a spout height of 135mm and spout projection of 201mm. Also in the range are a tall basin mixer, a single-lever and a wallmounted one, wall- and deck-mounted shower mixers, a floorstanding bath filler, and accessories.
8. The Timea Matt Black tall basin mixer from PJH's Bathrooms to Love collection has a sleek tapered handle and spout on a round body. The range also includes a full family of matching mixer taps in Matt Black (standard basin mixer, wall mounted basin mixer, wall mounted bath/shower mixer, deck mounted 3-hole and 4-hole bath/shower mixer, floorstanding bath/shower mixer, waste), as well as a shower range.
9. Keuco's Black Selection comprises a range of fixtures, fittings and accessories that have a deep silk Matt Black finish, including the IXMO single-lever basin mixer shown here. The wall-mounted IXMO tap has a square design with flat decorative discs, a depth of 181mm and comes in Matt Black or Chrome. The rest of the collection features an array of variations from deck-mounted to hands-free electronic versions, as well as shower controls and bath fillers.
10. Duravit's distinctive D.1 basin faucet designed by Matteo Thun and Antonio Rodriguez comes in Matt Black or Chrome, and has a sleek silhouette, starting with a cylindrical base shape that extends into a flat spout. The single lever on the right of the tap mirrors the form of the flat outlet, creating a clear and harmonious layout. The collection includes varying heights of faucet, faucets controlled by a knurled rotating handle, and an electronic version that is controlled via a dial.