The cloakroom has become a safe space for homeowners who want to get daring with their interiors but on a really small scale. Angelica Hedges rounds up 10 characterful design ideas that add big personality to a tiny room.
1. This design is the result of a collaboration between Ripples and vlogger Lily Pebbles, and packs a small cloakroom full of stylish products. The Kast mini concrete basin has been finished off with basin taps in a Brushed Gold finish, adding a pop of contrasting colour alongside the vertically placed Ca’ Pietra ceramic gloss wall tiles. The metro tiles bring the eyeline upwards, which elongates the space and injects colour and warmth.
2. This cloakroom has been designed to form a bold blend of patterns, materials, and colours, complemented by products from Drummonds that are perfect for a smaller space. The Syre wall-mounted vanity basin maximises the floor area, and is set against a Norwegian Rose marble splashback that contrasts with the Fornasetti Bastoni wallpaper. With the addition of the Dunnett concealed WC suite, this cloakroom is full of compact solutions that nevertheless add plenty of character.
3. The Xcut floorstanding washstand from Alape has been designed to optimise storage within a smaller room and has been formed into a cylindrical shape to reduce its footprint. Manufactured from a white glazed steel, it has a joint width of just one millimetre, and with the addition of the built-in shelf, it blends practicality with minimalism.
4. This cloakroom design features the Sensowash toilet designed by Philippe Starck for Duravit, and Duravit's oval DuraCeram wash bowl, which comes in four different outer surfaces, and five sizes of 420, 500, 600, 700 and 800mm. The Console plate in White Structure (Quartz) is paired with furniture in Night Blue, offering striking contrasting tones for a bold but bijou space.
5. The Juno basin by Kast is crafted from concrete in a curved style to be perfectly suited to corner installation. It is suitable for wall or surface mounting and is available in 28 varying colours, and works with all standard, unslotted wastes. The asymmetric design of this piece along with its compact rounded form, allow it to fit in the awkward corners of a smaller room.
6. This cloakroom with products from Drummonds makes the most of its compact design, combining utility with style. The small bottle rack provides extra storage, while the Mull 3-hole wall-mounted basin taps in Antique Brass paired with the Bourne vanity basin give the room a larger feel. The interior design by Cherie Lee Interiors features walls in bold patterns and strong colours, transforming the room into a standout feature of the home.
7. The RAK-Petit freestanding washbasin from RAK Ceramics adds character to a cloakroom due to its sculptural silhouette, in spite of its compact size. Pictured here in striking Alpine White, and measuring 360mm wide x 900mm tall, the floorstanding basin has a simple yet unique form that instantly becomes the centrepiece, bringing hotel-inspired glamour to the tiniest of spaces.
8. This cloakroom designed by Ripples uses contemporary on-trend pieces and a pale colour scheme to make the most of the space. The wall-hung Laufen WC and Burgbad vanity unit extend the floor space, and the marble tiles halfway up the walls create the illusion of a bigger bathroom. The Dornbracht black brassware basin taps add contrast, and the high shine of the finishes allows the light to bounce between surfaces, bringing depth to the space.
9. This wall-hung vanity and storage unit in Venetian Oak from Edition Lignatur by Keuco are designed by Tesseraux + Partner, with each piece said to be individually crafted and produced. The collection includes single or double washbasins, along with the Edition Lignatur adjustable light mirror, shown here, which is controlled by a touch-sensitive key panel to offer illumination from Warm White through to Daylight.
10. This diminutive concrete corner sink is the Demi by Kast, which measures (L)350 x (W)350mm, and has a smooth, curved front that reduces its impact on the surrounding area. It comes in a choice of 28 colours, and is shown here in Sandcastle yellow – a jewel-like tone that works to create a strong impact and provide a focal point in the compact scheme.